Monday, August 18, 2008

Sneaky Caits

Ryan, Caitlin, and I shared a room (a loft overlooking the main living area) at the beach. The kids have never had to share a room, so I was curious what would happen when I put them to bed at the same time. Ryan was in a twin bed and Caitlin was in the pack 'n' play.

The first night, they talked and giggled for about two hours - and during the course of that evening, Caitlin finally discovered how to climb out of the pack 'n' play. Once she realized she could climb out, the games began.

After the first night of having the kids awake until 11pm, I decided to start Ryan in another bedroom and transfer him after he was asleep. I thought that with Ryan out of the room, Caitlin would settle down and go to sleep. Not so. With her new found freedom, she was out of the pack 'n' play practically before we closed the curtain.

At first, I didn't realize that she was out of her bed. She was very quiet, so I thought she was sleeping. Then, I would glance up at the loft and see this little face peaking out from behind the curtain, watching the Olympics. This "game" happened every night until she was too exhausted to climb out of the crib and finally drifted off to sleep.

The sneakiest, scariest (and probably funniest) escape was when Caitlin climbed out of the pack 'n' play in the middle of the night and snuck downstairs. We think she was wandering around in the dark for quite some time before finding my mom in her room. She opened the door and said, "Where's Mommy?" My mom said that she heard noises, but figured that I was up using the bathroom. In reality, it was Caitlin climbing down the stairs and playing with her baby by moonlight. Silly girl!

No comments: