Sunday, August 24, 2008

Going back to Cali...

If Navy life has taught me one thing, it's never to plan because things will always change!

Mike received orders to San Diego for his final department head tour. We were really hoping that he would get a job out of Everett, but the base is small and opportunities are limited. He reports to his next assignment in November, just a month after getting home from deployment and unfortunately faces another long deployment scheduled for next summer. At first, I was so upset - it felt like the worst possible scenario. With Mike deploying next summer, it didn't make sense to pack up, rent out our house, and move with him, only to have him leave. I didn't want to be in California without him. After processing the information for a few days, we came up with a plan that will make the best of a less-than-ideal situation.

Mike will report in November and just following the holidays, the kids and I will move down to San Diego for 6-7 months so we can be with him. He will be home a majority of the time from January through June. So, once again, we're preparing for a move! This time, it will be a bit different because we know we'll be coming back to our house. In fact, it's not even long enough to rent out our house, so I think we'll just take what we need and move into a 2-bedroom apartment in San Diego. If anyone knows of a family that would be interested in renting a partially furnished house for the first half of the year, please let me know!

Although we weren't planning on moving again, I am getting excited to go back to San Diego. It will be an easy move to make since we still have good friends there and we're familiar with the area. We'll be able to do all of the theme parks with the kids and visit friends and family in Southern California. I'm looking at it like an extended vacation - we'll be joining the retired crowd as snowbirds!

It's funny how things turn out - yet they always seem to! If only I had a bit more faith that God actually is in control - I would save myself from worrying so much!

2 comments:

The Zdeneks said...

I am so sad that you guys are going to be leaving for 6-7 months, but so very happy that you will be back! We're going to miss you more than you know!

Sarah Jean said...

God is creative how He works things out! What a blessing for you, Mike & the boys! Hope we can get together before you guys leave! :o)