Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Preschool begins!

The day I was dreading finally came...and went without too much drama!! Ryan was so excited this morning before we left the house. He did everything he was supposed to in record time: eat breakfast, use the potty, get dressed, put shoes on, and wait patiently by the door. I snapped a couple of pictures on the way out of our proud preschooler (and his proud younger sister who at this point thinks she is going to school too!).

Ryan is ready to roll! And below, Ryan is giving Cait a kiss on the head -- he is a very sweet brother...most of the time!

When we got to the school, Ryan was feeling good - and so was I! There were lots of greeters in the parking lot, welcoming the kids and parents. We went inside and Ryan located his nametag. There are two Ryans in his class, so he will be Ryan Mc.

After he put on his nametag, he sat on the floor with some of his other classmates. All of a sudden, he became very serious and somber - an indicator that he was a little unsure of the situation. He even looked like he might cry. I tried to get his attention because I wanted to give him a hug and wish him good luck, but he just kind of sat there. This is the moment, when I started to feel the tears welling up in my eyes! I held it together, gave him a quick hug and kiss, and made a beeline to the parking lot. Once inside the car, I cried for a bit -- well, I actually cried all the way to the YMCA, but then I was fine!! Caitlin and I had a good morning - I went to work out and then we came home and played for a little while before going back to pick him up.
Somber Ryan

When I picked him up, he had a big smile on his face. I knew he would have a great time, once he settled into his classroom. He excitedly told me what he did at school. The two highlights: eating fish crackers for snack and racing tricycles at recess!
The preschool provides a book bag for the kids. Here is Ryan showing off his new bag. Of course, Caitlin was very upset that she didn't have her own. She looooves her bags!!
All in all, it was a very successful start to the school year. We have a family BBQ on Friday night. Ryan said they are making cowboy hats on Thursday for the hoedown. It will be fun to meet some of the other kiddos and parents from his class.

I've recovered from the emotional trauma -- I guess I'm free until Caitlin starts school next year. Ugh...I'm already dreading that!!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I am glad he did so well. I know I will be an emotional reck when Jordan goes to pre-school. I am glad he had so much fun. I hope you see you guys soon.

Hilary said...

I got a little teary for you reading this! I'm glad that he ended up doing great! I can't even think about Hudson going to pre-school!!