Sunday, July 13, 2008

What did you just say??

One of the kids' favorite activities right now is to "slide" down the stairs. There's a six-inch piece of wood on the edge near the bannister that they like to slide on. At first, I tried to stop this potentially dangerous activity, but I gave up. I figure that if they hurt themselves or tumble down the stairs, they'll stop. In the meantime, they aren't doing any damage to themselves or anything else.

This morning, they were on the stairs and I heard Ryan slide a little bit and then yell, "Oh, crap!" Then he would slide again and yell the same thing. I wasn't quite sure that's what he was saying, but as I listened closer, I knew I wasn't mistaken.

I asked Ryan what he was saying and he answered, quite confidently, "Oh, crap!" I asked him where he heard that (because of course mommy *never* says stuff like that!) and he answered, "From the big boy at the park where you were teaching Stroller Strides." I told him that we don't say words like that and perhaps a better option would be, "oh, wow!" or "oh, man!" We'll see if that works...

I knew Ryan (and Caitlin) would eventually figure out some "bad" words, but I thought it wouldn't happen quite this soon - I thought we could at least hold out until the fall when he started preschool. He's growing up too quickly!

No comments: