I'm officially at war with the raccoons that live near our house. They have been pesky since we moved in a year ago, but nothing we couldn't deal with...until now. Their recent behavior has taken things to a whole new level!
We're relandscaping the backyard and laid new sod last weekend - beautiful, lush, moss-free sod. The rain this week has been great for the yard and it was really looking good, until yesterday morning. I opened my bedroom curtains at 6:30am and looked out in the backyard and was horrified at what I saw. The sod was rolled up in about 25 different places. My friend, Jenn, had this happen to her when she put in a new yard in California, so I immediately knew who the culprits were. (Apparently raccoons pull up the grass looking for worms and grubs.)
I ran outside, replaced the sod, and came inside to figure out what I was going to do about this problem.
After doing some research on the Internet, I decided to try staking down deer netting around the perimeter of the yard so they couldn't access the edges. I spent a good two hours yesterday laying the nets and staking them into the ground. I also bought a large flood light to put on the deck, aimed at the yard. Thankfully, we have a greenbelt behind our house so I wasn't disturbing any of our neighbors. I went to bed and hoped that my efforts would pay off and the pesky little critters would leave our grass alone.
This morning, I was hesitant to look out the window. I was worried that I made them angry and was expecting a ripped up yard, but I was pleasantly surprised. Everything looked fine and the grass wasn't touched.
We'll see if they leave it alone for good. I may have to change my tactics - my dad suggested waiting up all night in my room with a bow and arrow so I could silently assault the enemy without disturbing my neighbors. I think I might have PETA knocking on my door if anyone finds out!
Once the grass is established, there won't be an issue, but until then, I'm at war!
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment