Memorial Day was kind of a downer at our house. The day began with an early morning trip to the airport to send Mike back to San Diego. The kids were sooo sad to see him go. This was the first time they've been so upset which makes it so much harder on Mike. Usually, when Mike asks if the kids are going to miss him, they nonchalantly answer, "No, I'm not going to miss you." This time was a different story - probably because we've gotten to see so much of him these past five months.
After getting home from the airport, I realized we needed to get out and do something, so we headed to Mill Creek's 1st Annual Memorial Day Parade. Because of our connection with the military - and the fact that we've lost friends in battle - I really want the kids to know and understand what Memorial Day is and why we celebrate the sacrifice others (including their dad) have made for our freedom. The parade was lots of fun and gave me the opportunity to explain to the kids why we were honoring all of the military personnel that were marching in the parade. I hope to make this parade - or something similar - an annual tradition for our family.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great tradition to start and beautiful day for a parade!
Post a Comment